Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church and The Atonement Catholic Academy
Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) Athletics
As an outreach Ministry of a parish of The Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Sr. Peter, in conjunction with the Archdiocese of San Antonio, volunteers effectively serve as youth ministers, within an athletic context. The mission of the OLA CYO Athletics is a set of two equally emphasized missions, with the first leading to the second. Therefore, the mission of the OLA CYO Athletics is:
To offer to all youth sports and recreation programs emphasizing friendly competition through good sportsmanship modeled by adult participation, and to invite all participants, Catholic and otherwise, youth and adults, to share in the life of their faith.
The mission of the OLA CYO Athletics program includes:
Inviting all Catholic and non-Catholic participants, youth and adults, to share in the life of the faith of our Parish/School through our CYO program and become involved in our Parish/School by attendance, religious education and formation programs, always from the Catholic perspective. Establishing a working relationship between the Parish Pastors/School Principals, the Parish/School and the Parish/School CYO community.
Encouraging ethical and moral behavior through the sports activity in the children, parents, coaches, and fans.
OLA CYO President: Jose Oliveros [email protected]
OLA CYO Registrar: Mark Cerda [email protected]
Our Lady of the Atonement CYO Schedules (Sports Pilot Links)
Coach Thomas Monaghan - Volleyball Mite 1 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=3774&team=19167
Coach Tony Emady - Soccer Tot 2 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=2737&team=19006
Coach Derek LaBranch - Soccer Tiny 1 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=2739&team=19018
Coach Joe Landon - Soccer Tiny 2 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=2741&team=19032
Coach Gabriel Molina - Soccer Pee Wee 1 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=2753&team=19046
Coach Paul Ku - Soccer Pee Wee 2 - http://archsacyo.sportspilot.com/Scheduler/Public/report.aspx?contest=2739&team=19018
The OLA CYO program is run solely by volunteers and we are always looking for volunteers to help out in many different capacities, such as:
- Coaches. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Assistant coaches. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Team ministers. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Site coordinators. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Helping run the concessions stands during all games taking place on Atonement fields.
- Helping collect gate fees from attendees at all games taking place on Atonement fields.
- Team parent.
If interested please contact the OLA CYO President at [email protected].
The OLA CYO program is run completely by volunteers. Volunteer coaches are the leaders of the youth activities and the face of the different sports programs. The coaches are expected to lead by example, emphasizing friendly competition through good sportsmanship modeled by adult participation, and to invite all participants, Catholic and otherwise, youth and adults, to share in the life of their faith.
Minimum Age Requirements:
- Head Coach: 21 years of age.
- Assistant Coach: 18 years of age
- Jr. Assistant Coach: 15 years of age – this coach must have parental consent and the approval from the Parish/School President and the Head Coach to act in this capacity. This Jr. Assistant Coach must be directly supervised at ALL times (games, practices, and other events) by an adult certified coach on the official team roster. This Jr. Assistant Coach will be allowed to interact and participate with the coaches and teams during practices and be allowed on the field/court during games as long as they have the appropriate Jr. Assistant Coach’s badge.
Coaches Certification, Development & Responsibilities – 18 years of age and older
- If interested in volunteering as a coach, please send email with contact information and sport to OLA CYO Registrar and OLA CYO President, stating your volunteer intentions. All volunteer coaches MUST complete all required training expectations within one week after submission of email stating volunteer intentions.
- In order to coach, a volunteer must receive a CYO Badge from the Archdiocese of San Antonio, prior to being allowed on the field to coach.
- Volunteers must satisfactorily complete the Safe Environment & Background Check, Volunteer Training as required by the Ordinariate, click here for Online Training Instructions; and
- Complete and pass the Archdiocese of San Antonio Criminal Background Check submitted to the Virtus Online website, the online Coaches Coaching Certification Course, the Virtus Online Protecting God’s Children and Sexual Harassment Training, and attend any sports specific training conducted by the parish, school, or zone. Click here for training instructions. For recertification Click here.
- Attend mandatory meetings as required;
- Be responsible and accountable for all information within the Policy and Procedure Manual, Handbook, and Team Roster, CYO Sports Rules; and
- Abide and support the Zero Tolerance Act.