Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church and The Atonement Catholic Academy
Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) Athletics
As an outreach Ministry of a parish of The Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of Sr. Peter, in conjunction with the Archdiocese of San Antonio, volunteers effectively serve as youth ministers, within an athletic context. The mission of the Atonement CYO Athletics is a set of two equally emphasized missions, with the first leading to the second. Therefore, the mission of the Atonement CYO Athletics is:
To offer to all youth sports and recreation programs emphasizing friendly competition through good sportsmanship modeled by adult participation, and to invite all participants, Catholic and otherwise, youth and adults, to share in the life of their faith.
The mission of the Atonement CYO Athletics program includes:
Inviting all Catholic and non-Catholic participants, youth and adults, to share in the life of the faith of our Parish/School through our CYO program and become involved in our Parish/School by attendance, religious education and formation programs, always from the Catholic perspective. Establishing a working relationship between the Parish Pastors/School Principals, the Parish/School and the Parish/School CYO community.
Encouraging ethical and moral behavior through the sports activity in the children, parents, coaches, and fans.
Atonement CYO President: Thomas Monaghan [email protected]
Atonement CYO Registrar: TBD [email protected]
Basketball schedules will be posted soon.
Player Eligibility Guidelines
Player Eligibility Guidelines
CYO sports is open to all Atonement children between the ages of four (4) and seventeen (17), with a date of birth falling between the dates specified in the CYO Age Division chart for that specific season. Season dates specific to each sport c are shown in the year specific Season Timeline. Both of these documents may be found in the Policies & Procedures section.
Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of registering child must be a registered parishioner at Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic church for at least six (6) months, or the registering child must be a student at The Atonement Catholic Academy or sibling of a student.
All sports official opening and closing registration dates are published in advance by the San Antonio Archdiocese CYO Office.
All registrations are accomplished online via the online registration system Sports Pilot. See link below to register.
Registration fee is $140.00 per child, per sport. Registration fee is to be paid via credit card, and is to be accomplished at registration time via Sports Pilot. Participant is not considered registered until registration fee is paid. Please make sure to select jersey and short size during registration. There will be no uniform fitting this sports year.
The Atonement CYO program is run solely by volunteers and we are always looking for volunteers to help out in many different capacities, such as:
- Coaches. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Assistant coaches. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Team ministers. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Site coordinators. This position requires a coaching certification.
- Helping run the concessions stands during all games taking place on Atonement fields.
- Helping collect gate fees from attendees at all games taking place on Atonement fields.
- Team parent.
If interested please contact the Atonement CYO President at [email protected].
The Atonement CYO program is run completely by volunteers. Volunteer coaches are the leaders of the youth activities and the face of the different sports programs. The coaches are expected to lead by example, emphasizing friendly competition through good sportsmanship modeled by adult participation, and to invite all participants, Catholic and otherwise, youth and adults, to share in the life of their faith.
Minimum Age Requirements:
- Head Coach: 21 years of age.
- Assistant Coach: 18 years of age
- Jr. Assistant Coach: 15 years of age – this coach must have parental consent and the approval from the Parish/School President and the Head Coach to act in this capacity. This Jr. Assistant Coach must be directly supervised at ALL times (games, practices, and other events) by an adult certified coach on the official team roster. This Jr. Assistant Coach will be allowed to interact and participate with the coaches and teams during practices and be allowed on the field/court during games as long as they have the appropriate Jr. Assistant Coach’s badge.
Coaches Certification, Development & Responsibilities – 18 years of age and older
- If interested in volunteering as a coach, please send email with contact information and sport to Atonement CYO Registrar and Atonement CYO President, stating your volunteer intentions. All volunteer coaches MUST complete all required training expectations within one week after submission of email stating volunteer intentions.
- In order to coach, a volunteer must receive a CYO Badge from the Archdiocese of San Antonio, prior to being allowed on the field to coach.
- Volunteers must satisfactorily complete the Safe Environment & Background Check, Volunteer Training as required by the Ordinariate, click here for Online Training Instructions; and
- Complete and pass the Archdiocese of San Antonio Criminal Background Check submitted to the Virtus Online website, the online Coaches Coaching Certification Course, the Virtus Online Protecting God’s Children and Sexual Harassment Training, and attend any sports specific training conducted by the parish, school, or zone. Click here for training instructions. For recertification Click here.
- Attend mandatory meetings as required;
- Be responsible and accountable for all information within the Policy and Procedure Manual, Handbook, and Team Roster, CYO Sports Rules; and
- Abide and support the Zero Tolerance Act.
COVID Protocols - Protocols are constantly changing so we recommend that all coaches, parents, and players, carry a mask with them at all times when competing in CYO activities as each facility has different protocols in place. Please be patient.